Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal. It's important to be aware of the risks and take preventive measures.Carbon monoxide is the result of incomplete combustion of a fossil fuel, which produces an odourless, colourless, incolore, tasteless, non-irritating and toxic gas. Even in small amounts, it can be fatal.
In new residential buildings, carbon monoxide detectors are required if the dwelling has a gas-burning appliance with doors that are not completely sealed.
Get a standardized ULC-2034 carbon monoxide detector.
Install it where the manufacturer recommends.
Use the test button to test your carbon monoxide detector once a month.
Install your detector in the house, not the garage.
If your detector goes off, call 911 immediately and let them know it's a carbon monoxide alarm.
What produces carbon monoxide? Carbon monoxide is produced when a vehicle or appliance burns fuel such as gas, oil, natural gas, propane, kerosene, naphtha or wood. Many home appliances can produce carbon monoxide: furnaces and gas- or oil-burning water heaters, appliances that run on solid fuel, combustion motors, etc.
What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning? The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning resemble a stomach virus: headache, nausea, fatigue and dizziness.
What should I do when my carbon monoxide detector goes off? Call 911 and take note of any symptoms your family may present (dizziness, nausea, headache, etc.). If anyone presents one or more of these symptoms, they probably have carbon monoxide poisioning. Prolonged exposure to a high concentration can be fatal. In Québec, this type of poisoning kills 15 people each year.